Halloween Pet Safety: 5 Things to Avoid

Share This Post

At Halloween Pet Safety is Important!

Pumpkin spice, crisp air, football games, ghosts, witches, and candy all mark the start of a spooky Halloween season.  But what can be more terrifying is what dangers lurk for our four legged family members during Halloween.

Top 5 things that we need to be on the look out for our fur babies and keep away from our pet at Halloween to keep them safe:

  1.  CHOCOLATE: I am pretty sure that everyone know that chocolate is bad for dogs.  Make sure that when you have the Halloween candy laying around, it is out of Fido’s reach.  Chocolate can cause serious health concerns.  If your dog ingests any chocolate, you should seek medical care.
  2. SUGARLESS TREATS:  Sugarless candy (which I hope that no one hands out….I mean come on, chocolate is the good stuff for those cute kids coming to the door!) is very dangerous for dogs.  The candy contains  xylitol which can cause hypoglycemia and liver damage in dogs.  Call your veterinarian if you dog gets into any sugarless candy or gum.
  3. GLOW STICKS:  While glow sticks are great to find your kids in the dark, they aren’t good for any feline friends that decide to chew on them.  The chemical inside the glow sticks isn’t poisonous to cats but does cause excessive drooling, inappetence, oral pain, and vomiting.  Flush out your cats mouth as quickly as possible.  Make sure to get any of the chemical that may have leaked on their fur as they will continue to groom themselves and ingest it.  Call your veterinarian if symptoms persist.
  4. RAISINS:   Found in the popular candy, raisinets and individual trail mix packets, raisins can find their way into Halloween candy piles.  Be sure to keep raisins away from Fido as they can cause kidney failure.  The signs don’t usually show up for several days after the ingestion has occurred.  If you are concerned about raisin ingestion, please call you veterinarian.
  5. ELECTRIC AND BATTERY POWERED DECORATIONS:  Keep electric and battery-powered Halloween decorations out of reach.  Electric and battery-powered Halloween decorations are certainly safer than open candles, but they still can present a risk to pets. Pets who chew on electrical cords can receive a possibly life-threatening electrical shock or burn. Batteries may cause chemical burns when chewed open or gastrointestinal blockage if swallowed. Shards of glass or plastic can cause lacerations anywhere on the body or, if swallowed, within the gastrointestinal tract.  Call your veterinarian if you are concerned with any foreign body ingestion.

Have a safe and spooky Halloween!  Remember that if your pet gets stressed with a lot of chaos, costumed people, and constant door bell ringing, please keep them in a back room away from the stress with a TV/music on and calming pheromone such as Adaptil or Feliway. 

Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Enjoy Helpful Pet Tips & Promotions
Newsletter Sign Up
More To Explore
dog laying down in grass outside

How to Tell if Your Dog is in Pain

When our dogs are not feeling well, they can’t tell us in words, but they do show signs that we can learn to spot. Understanding

broken dog nail

Is A Broken Dog Nail an Emergency?

When your dog hurts their nail, it can be a scary moment for both you and your pet. You might find yourself wondering, “Is a

Get the best care for your best friend.

Request an appointment online
Newsletter Sign Up
Newsletter Sign Up